Expressions of interest – AFA External Director
16 September,2020 – We have a new opportunity available for an AFA External Director. Please see the role profile below.
All expressions of interest to be submitted to Lydia Tan: firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 9 October 2020.
AFA External Director
About the business
The Association of Financial Advisers Limited (AFA) has served the financial advice industry for 74 years. Our objective is to achieve Great Advice for More Australians and we do this through:
- advocating for appropriate policy settings for financial advice
- enforcing a Code of Ethical Conduct
- investing in consumer-based research
- developing professional development pathways for financial advisers
- connecting key stakeholders within the financial advice community
- educating consumers around the importance of financial advice
The Board of the AFA has traditionally been elected by the Membership and all Directors are currently practicing financial advisers. The Constitution of the AFA allows for the appointment of external directors to expand the skill set of the practitioner members.
About the role
The AFA is seeking an experienced External Director to further strengthen its governance function and assist with strategy and innovation as it navigates the current challenging environment. As a member of the Board, you will contribute meaningfully to strategic decisions to help drive the AFA’s growth to success. You will bring an independent, non-practitioner and fresh perspective to the decision-making processes to continually ensure that the AFA is best placed for achieving its strategic goals. You must be willing to challenge the thinking of the practitioner members on the Board.
As a board member your functions would include: •
- setting goals, formulating strategy, and approving business plans
- approve annual budgets and key management decisions
- monitor management performance and results
- appointment and reward of the CEO
- set and review strategies and policies relating to the marketing, membership, partnerships, and advocacy.
Skills and experience
Appropriately qualified appointees will be expected to demonstrate a successful track record in senior executive or Board positions with an emphasis on corporate governance. Experience in the financial services industry is desirable, albeit not essential. Strong business and commercial acumen with a focus on innovation, and strategy is a must. Candidates with advocacy and government/public relation experience are also encouraged to apply. This is a rare opportunity to support the purpose and contribute to the strategy of this well-respected professional association as the financial advice profession continues to evolve to meet the significant challenges involved in obtaining recognition as a profession.
Interested in applying?
To express your interest, please submit a cover letter and your resume to Lydia Tan email@example.com to be received by close of business on 9th October 2020.
To download a PDF of the role profile, please click here.